On March 24th, 17 of our students competed at Regional Science Fair. As always, they represented us very well and took home several awards.
Congratulations go to Bronze medalists: Venna Penney, Joseph O'Neail, Alyssa van de Riet, Jayden King & Lucas Peltola, Madelyn Croft, and Autumn Heukshorst; Silver medalists: Nicholas Balzan and Emma-Lee Rhyno; and Gold medallist Kent Smith.
Along with the medals our science fair team picked up 18 awards which included scholarships totaling $7000 - not bad for doing a good job on a science fair project.
Special congratulations go to Kent Smith and Emma-Lee Rhyno. Kent will be representing our school board at the Canada Wide Science Fair in Fredericton this May. Emma-Lee was chosen as an alternate and will attend Canada Wide if one of the other 5 finalists is unable to go.
Thank you to all the students and teachers for their hard work and commitment to making Hants East one of the very best science schools in our province. You make us proud!
- Madelyn Croft
- Autumn Heukshorst
- Jayden King & Lucas Peltola
- Joseph O'Neail
- Best Senior Innovation Challenge project
- $1500 Dalhousie University Faculty of Science Scholarship
- Venna Penney
- $100 Nova Scotia Institute for Science Award
- Alyssa van de Riet
- Best Intermediate Innovation Challenge project
- $100 ScotiaBank Award for Best Secondary project presented in French
- Nicholas Balzan
- Best Senior Environment Challenge project
- $2000 St. Mary's University Scholarship
- Emma-Lee Rhyno
- Fundy Composting Environmental Award
- $50 Dalhousie University Faculty of Agriculture Award for Top 4 Intermediate project
- $2000 St. F.X. University Scholarship
- Chief Judge's Award
- Canada Wide Science Fair alternate
Margaret Schofield received the Women in Science and Engineering Award for having an obvious passion for science.
- Kent Smith
- Best Resource Challenge project
- $100 Kohler Advancement in Science Award
- Best Practical Application
- $1500 Dalhousie University Faculty of Agriculture Scholarship
- Canada Wide Science Fair finalist